Snow Patrol’s Gary Lightbody praised by fans after emotional interview on alcoholism

Snow Patrol’s Gary Lightbody has opened up about his struggle with alcohol while chatting to Ryan Tubridy on The Late Late Show. The star revealed that he no longer drinks after showing warning signs that he might be addicted to drinking.

In an honest conversation with the host, the 42-year-old spoke about his relationship with booze and the turning point that made him stop drinking.

He said: ‘I think that the shift was drinking alone a lot. I was spending a lot of time in Los Angeles, because I was writing a lot of music for films and TV, and my friends out there that I made would maybe go out once a week.

‘But I would want to go out seven days a week, you know?’

Ryan agreed and pointed out the different culture in America, before Gary added: ‘I would spend a lot of time going out, and if I wasn’t able to find someone I would go out any way.’

The Chasing Cars hitmaker confessed that he didn’t wake up needing a drink, but noticed he’d crave it as the day went on.

He said: ‘I wouldn’t wake up wanting to drink but I would get to mid afternoon and I’d need to.

‘I was always a very happy drunk, it was just the drinking that would happen when I came home again – that was the problem.’

The star confessed that after a few of his pals started to notice that he was out ‘almost every night,’ Gary decided that it was time he stopped.